In 1488, the area now named Bandung was the capital of the Kingdom of Pajajaran. During colonial times, the government of the Dutch East Indies built a supply road connecting Batavia (now Jakarta), Bogor, Cianjur, Bandung, Sumedang and Cirebon. This event was very important for the growth of Bandung. In the 1930s the Dutch East Indies government planned for Bandung to become the capital of the Dutch East Indies due to its location, however World War II disrupted these plans.
It is not known exactly when the city of Bandung was built. However, contrary
to the beliefs of some the city was not originally built by the orders
of Daendels, the Dutch East Indies Governor General, but by the orders
of Bupati R.A. Wiranatakusumah II. The Dutch colonial powers built wide
tree-lined boulevards, villas, gardens, and fountains, earning Bandung
the nickname of "Parijs van Java", the Paris of Java, in the
early 20th century. Many of these structures survive to today, and can
be seen along the road leading to the Dago area north of the city.
After Indonesian independence, Bandung was named as the provincial capital of West Java (Jawa Barat). Bandung was the site of the Bandung Conference which met April 18-April 24, 1955 with the aim of promoting economic and cultural cooperation among the African and Asian countries, and to counter the threat of colonialism or neocolonialism by the United States, the Soviet Union, or other imperialistic nations.